Picture dump time, I started the repair the sunroof cassette, I have one side finished so I said I would take a few pictures of the second side,
You can see where the long strip part fits. It is the same in both sides roughly half way in the sunroof cassette.
I made a fixture to bend an over sized piece.
Shaped the length a bit and tacked it in.
Test fit the sunroof rail to be sure it fitted back in.
Welded her up.
And a rub of the grinder to be sure the rail fitted back on. This is a hidden repair once its all back together so it does not have to be perfect, just water tight. The piece prevents water that’s leaked through the sun roof seal from running out through the head liner.
I flipped it over to cut off the excess.
Result. Rot gone.
Found a small hole in the drivers sill where the screws go through for holding down the carpet cover.
Next is to cut out this piece;
I drilled the welds on the bracket.
Cut out the rot and cleaned up the surrounding area.
Welded on a repair piece and bent it as I welded to keep the curve to the drain pipe, (picture upside down, well the roof cassette is)
Slit and folded in the tab bits.
Drilled and filled out a hole.
I turned a tube on a lathe a little stronger than the original unit, welded her on.
Tacked back on the location bracket.
Plenty of seam sealer tomorrow, a lick of paint and back in with her.
Keeping busy, I have the sunroof cassette back in. not too bad a job, the cut brackets were a good guide to aligning it up. I bonded it with tiger seal and a few welds. Sealed up around the opening with seam sealer and smoothed it off for a factory look.
The red is not the colour of the car, just some paint I had left over from another job,
The adhesive locations are marked, well kinda dented into the metal.
I made up a steering link for adapting the E46 rack in. I was going to weld up a few pieces but decided to make it one piece.
Its needs 25 mm extra length in my car setup.
I broke up the old unit and removed the bearings and seals, I will make a die to add the bearing retaining feature’s.
Its being a while since my last update on the car. I have being busy sorting a few small issues with the engine /gearbox swap.
I have the rear sub frame back in, I had no differential at the time to bolt up so It went in without it so I could make up the brake lines and put the brakes back together. It was easy enough especially with all the plated parts, they went on like new parts with no mess, they should last a few years before corroding up again. I threw in some new pads while I was it with new hand brake cables.
On the braking end of things, I have ended up using a mk2 golf diesel servo and master cylinder, I got a mk3 clio servo off the bay but it’s the same size as the E30 unit, its pretty identical really. Maybe the seller was a bit cheeky or there are a few mk3 clio servos. Anyhow it was just over €20 delivered, can’t complain. Anyone for an E30 servo, looks new?
Mill back in, hopefully the last time I see the bay empty. There were a few surprises here, the gearbox (E36 325 unit) bolts straight on and the gear linkage is perfectly positioned in the car. I used the M20 flywheel. It has to have a wee bit taken of the back (not the mounting surface) to clear the oil seal bolts on the engine, M20 flywheel bolted up but the std slave wont press the clutch enough, I tried the std E30 slave which is slightly longer than the E36 slave (about 20 mm or so) but its at the end of the stroke and could be a problem down the road, the solution I have used is a new E36 slave with a push pin I made up myself which has the slave in the middle of the stroke when pressed.
My next issue is the center prop bearing carrier, its off by around 20 mm or so. I drilled the body of the can and put in two rev nuts to reposition it, I expect the rear prop to be too long.
Steering link fitted along with the power steering plumbing, the E46 pipes fitted with a little fettling.
Shocks back together, nice full size tubes.
Throttle bodys in for final (fingers crossed) fit.
LSD 3.64:1 picked up. I blasted it and a shot of gloss black to keep thing clean, seams nice and tight.I changed the oil and it was good and clean, no nasty burning smells.
E36 rad in.I had to make my own mounts, the E30 ones don’t fit correctly. The rad I got is for a car with air con, its 100 mm lower, Fills up the space nicely.
I have the diff fitted, sort the prop out next…
Progress, car back on wheels. Mill plummed. Wiring started.