Well Lads, I have started the inlet manifold, just thought I would share how I am making it, I am sure there are better methods but I am using what I have (equipment wise)
I started with the CAD drawings and am using whats called .dxf files from them to create 2D tool paths on CNC machines. I have made some plastic parts and refined them for a good factory like fit.
The first bit of the finished manifold is the base which I will have two parts, one a mirror of the other.
I cut this off the block of alloy and faced off the cut size.
The next part is a little tricky as both profiles are different from the top to the bottom, also in order to cut the correct shape at the top I have to create a new part on a horizontal plane as the cut is at 40 odd degrees to the base.
Here is what the program looks like.
You can see the odd shape cut out.
The top parts which I will weld together are identical, I cut plastic parts first to get a good fit and refine the shape a bit here and there. I cut out the pockets first, simply by clamping the plate in the vice.
Cut them in half drilled and taped an alloy block and bolted them down thru the ITB bolt holes.
Then drove around the outside.
The base before the centre’s are cut out. Quick trial fit to be sure. The holes thru the centre are for reference to cut the centre out, a sort of start point to be sure the cut is in the correct place at the bottom.
Next is the welding once I have all the centres cut.
Original design a few months back, nice to see it coming together.
Keeping busy with the old bus, The engine and box are back out and I finally got round to finishing off my oil filter relocation block. I got an oil cooler/filter kit off the bay and comes with relevant pipe work and fittings.I made my own gasket and lock tighted her down, threw on a new belt and am happy with the result. The engine looks like it should be fitter to a motor bike from the side.
Next thing was a bit of a diet, the M20 fly wheel is up against the crank oil seal bolts and needs to have some material removed, opportunity knocks so up onto the lathe with her, she loved it, dress size 10 now.
Picked up a good sun roof panel today, wee bit of surface rust, easily blasted off, this one is really good compared to the original one on the car, it sounds like a bag of gravel, I must cut it open for the crack. Lads out there with sunroofs, be ware, this is a definite issue from my research.
All cleaned up and sanded down.
In etch primer for the min.
Next plan is to put it up on a spit and a good poke under her…
Whipped off the rear sub frame. Welded on a bit of old box section and used it as a support for pushing out the bushing. Pressed out easy enough and then chopped of the box section.
Found that the exhaust hanger was split, threw on a bit of weld.
I will give the subframe a good wire brushing prime and paint and a few new bushings.
Update time, I was busy over the holidays, I started the megasquirts. I tackled the testing bits first, the test boards simulate the throttle, crank sensor and all that good stuff, you can turn the pots or connect the sensors themselves to test them or check which type they might be,
It starts like this;
And ends like this;
The second part of the puzzle;
A good soldering iron with a fine tip is really necessary, some of the parts are close together and you don’t want to connect two parts together that should not.
The MS3 board has a few extra components?
Tools I used.
At this point you have to set the board up for the sensors your using. I had a bit of difficulty finding out which type is on the m52, lots of conflicting stuff on the net, I eventually found a nice pdf file of how the engine runs which cleared up a few doubt’s I had, I don’t have the engine running yet, but its close enough for now. The megasquirt forum is very good. Plenty of help.
Back to the car.
Up on my home made spit. I didn’t think I would use this for a while.
Now I can get a good luck under her.
I might need a few new brake lines and fittings and I found a hole and a crappy bracket.
Both taken car of;
I blasted all those little brackets and bolts for a bit of zinc plating.
The price of a new fuel filler neck brought tears to my eyes, I think the zinc plating will take care of the old one. It was all surface rust, I hate rust.