This next entry will make some of you collectors upset, and faint of heart! We hacked up a perfectly good set of doors. One to make room for the roll cage bars and two to get rid of the weight. Don’t know how many of you have had the doors off, let me tell you, the Damn things are heavy.
Without glass and window motor/ regulator assembly they weigh about 48 pounds! My friend Ken took the scapel and liposuctioned them down to about 20 pounds, thus saving 56 pounds! He cut the frames down to basically the door skins, cut out the safety bar, used a hole saw to cut some holes in structurally needed pieces then did a beautiful jog gutting the hinges.
Above marking out more of the door to cut out and below Ken making his plans to cut the fat out of the hinges.
And starting to cut it out.
And the finished product.
Custom deck lid with intergrated “lip spoiler”.
Race weight hood , note the two year layer of dirt, I dragged them out of the attic to photo for you guys today.
We also got some more stuff done before she goes to the body shop, the window net got installed, we used rod ends on the rods like the pro cars do, so that the net goes up and down easier. The fuel cell frame got put in, a huge deal! We got the dash mounted and I made the oil lines mounted the cooler and remote oil filter. It was big day!
Time to plumb the oiling system. The parts layed out, remote oil filter, oil cooler, dash 10 AN aeroquip fittings, and oil pressure switch’s, one for the VDO gauge and the other for the data into the ECU.
Stock oil filter housing was removed and replaced with this unit.
Mounted remote filter.
Mounted the oil cooler in the cowl.
Any of you guys who have raced cars know what a pain latching the window net is, fumbling around with the damn thing trying to make grid can be stressful.
So this is one thing I wanted to make work better, so I stole an idea from the “pro’s”. Ken and I put rod ends on the end of the rods going though the net and attached them to the b pillar tube. Then welded a safety belt latch in the a pillar corner and in conjunction with the bearings allows super easy movement of the whole thing!
Bottom rod end mounted to the b pillar tube.
Top rod end attached to the b pillar tube.
Safety belt latch welded in.
A nice touch to keep the strap in place.
The whole thing latched in place.