The first time we sat the car back on the ground we had one minor problem (or major) with the wider tires and wheel and trying to lower it, the fenders sat right on to the tires not allowing the car to roll or be lowered where it needs to be. Since Im installing fender flares its time to cut. So Frank an I cut both the outer and inner fenders, stretched the inner fender and shaped it to clear the tire’s , and tack welded them back together for strength.
First time back on the ground but sitting on the tires.
Drawing out line for cutting.
Outer fender cut out. Bending /stretching, shaping the inner fender. Inner and outer fenders tack welded back together.
Front before cutting up.
And slammed on the ground.
Quick mock up with the fender flares, note these are not the wheels the car will be run with.
It was a lot of work to get this far, converting /rebuilding front and rear suspension’s, fixing the geometry for the lowered race purpose, converting to the steering box, raising the floor to get the exhaust of the ground, and cutting up the fenders, definitely not the short cut the stance kids take !! a functioning lowered car. If you look at pictures of typical Race CSL’s they ride quite high. We spent a lot of time and effort to get this thing lower, hopefully it will pay off in handling.
One last piece of Chassis work, as noted we boxed in the front frame rails with the firewall to give the front end more strength.
Got started on the fuel system , Scored an aluminium 15 gallon fuel cell so I cut out the trunk where I will build a frame to hold the fuel cell cage.
Sneak peak at new injectors.
Gapeing hole where there use to be a trunk.
And a test fit of the wheels with the 275 /16 tires Ill be running.
We finally got the cams degreed in today, got most of the valves adj. Ran out of shims for the size I needed so a few will have to be done later, for the most part the engine is done.
I went ahead and stuck it back in the car to finish up mock up of the drive train, now I can route the cooling system, find a radiator, start plumbing the oil cooler and fuel line.
Another mock up of the drive train, so that I can tweek on stuff, and get things sitting just right, got the bolt holes on the motor mount s drilled, a few more tweeks and the last batch of stuff will be off to the powder coaters.
Spent most of the day tweeking on the front suspension, think I got the bump steer set and fixed a few other issues.
A long day with a bit of progress. First we pulled the engine back out (its going to be out and in a dozen or so more times before it’s totally done) with all the exhaust studs I just couldn’t get the headers on in the car so out the engine came, installed the headers and jacked the whole thing to a wicked angle to clear the headers while we stuck it back in. Took the opportunity to mock up a e28 M5 radiator and shave the rest of the brackets out of the engine bay.
Fully shaved engine bay, note missing stock e9 radiator bracket.
Headers installed and modified euro s38 b38 air horns installed, note the severe angle we had to tilt the engine to slide it in.
How many monkeys does it take to slide an engine in ? hahaha
Sitting back in place, nice view of modded euro air horns!
View of headers, tight fit!
Got a junk e28 M5 radiator to use for mock up, Ill be getting an aluminium version of this, had to cut out the stock mounts and drill some holes to mount the different style Radiator, next Ill need to start routing the coolant hoses.
Before we started on the cage we cut out the sunroof Frame, when the cage was complete Frank welded the sunroof back in place. Today We filled in the gap where the sunroof seal was with epoxy, when it goes to the body shop they will skim it with filler and no one will know it ever had a roof!
I’m not a fan of the stock shifter assemblies , I like a solid mounted deal . however I find some of the sperical bearing ones are just tooo notchy so I cut out the cup of an aluminium shifter tower (as seen below) and had it welded to a plate that I shape and mount solidly to the body for a very nice precise shift. The rod is been cut to size and I use a Z3 shift rod, Ill probably use a different knob .