The Brake project is half done, calipers and rotor are mounted, sourced some Porsche Caliper from a 996 and Moosehead engineering made some brackets to mount them to my e28 parts . thanks much to Paul from moosehead.
To get full pad contact with rotor that fit under 16 inch wheel the caliper mounts got milled a bit.
The rear mounted with e34 540 vented rear rotors.
Front brakes mounted using my custom rotor based off an 840 csi rotor, Rotor has an aluminium hat to reduce rotating mass.
Its a tight fit inside the 16 inch wheel!
Mocked up the valve cover and headers on the engine , should have it complete quite soon , need to finish degreeing the cams in, changing the studs out for the headers , and a few more mods for the coil over plug conversion. in the meantime enjoy the mocked up bling.
Got around to working some more on the suspension . We put the springs / dampners all together, the adj, helper springs, torington bearings to reduce friction.
And the front assembly put together, of course I put it together backwards, helper spring is suppose to be on top.
So you guys want some more “Engine porn”? Dithered a bit more with the engine the other night, we worked on setting up the Coil over plug, had to reduce the height of the studs from the B36 head to clear the coils .
Here is the old valve cover with conventional plug wires.
Which will be discarded along with this distributor piece.
And with new coils installed.
Another shot with the coil cover on, normally on a race motor you would leave this cover off to release heat, but it just looks really good with it on.
Also got the oil pan put on.
Interesting detail is the oil level sensor is removed and replaced with this billet piece to increase the oil volume in the pan (all though not much).
Another minor detail is the water pipe delete block off on the back of the cyl head.
New header studs installed.
After 18 months we got the car back on the ground rolling and steering ! Big day ! still have to finish up the detail on the front suspension but it hold’s the car off the ground and the steering works .
One thing that had to be done was the steering knuckle/ lever had to be modified to work with the rack and modified to correct the geometry, etc.
And installed with the rest of the suspension.
The next big step is the new steering shaft . we cut out the old stock stuff and with the rack conversion , needed an entire custom deal.
Below we are staring to mock up the shaft placement, for length, where it will go though the firewall, and the bearing mount placements.
Close up of the steering shaft firewall mount bearing, also notice the new throttle pedal set up.
Extra long shaft waiting to be cut to size.
View of the steering shaft from the engine bay, , notice the firewall bearing and the two new universals. mounted into the rack with out the flex coupler.
Close up from the firewall.
And into the rack.
Close up of the steering wheel, hub, and quick release mount.