Pulled the cyl. head off to get started on engine refresh.
Work on finishing up the motor mounts continues, the plates where the mounts go into the subframe going into there final spots.
Another shot from underneath along with new headers.
Starting with this nasty looking engine bay , and now a new fire wall I started grinding unneeded brackets , and cleaning off that ugly stuff on the shock towers.
Looking better in there.
I will say this, if I ever do another car acid dip has to be worth the money, I have spent days trying to get rid of all that unwanted material, and I have a lot left to go,. nasty nasty work!
With the raised subframe the diff had to be raised.
Diff mount being fabbed up.
Picture of the diff mount from the top.
The diff mount is totally solid and goes though to the trunk floor, the tube sticking up is where the roll cage will tie into the diff mount, I think its safe to say I wont be ripping out the diff …. ever!
Speaking of diffs, a quick pic of whats to come, I got a fully built LSD carrier from Diffs On Line, 4 clutch/ modded ramps cromo case,, etc, etc which will go into an e30 M3 med case 410 !
We are getting dangerously close to finishing up with mounting the complete drive train. The diff is mounted the engine is located, just needs some bolts to the subframe,and the trans brackets and mounts are made.
So that leaves the driveshaft, snice we moved the engine so far back, I was certain we would have to get one custom made, but after taking measurement to start that process Dave ( synro design works) remember that the measurement was the same as an E36 automatic M3 driveshaft, we located one and BAM dirveshaft done! now we just need to fab up some center suport brackets , and we are finished with mocking up the drivetrain. This is a huge step forward.
Mocking in the drive shaft center support facing towards the diff.
Looking towards the trans.
And from the interior notice were we cut out all of the E-Brake and its brackets to make room for the new center support location. Also the tricky work going into the pass side mount, thanks to Frank at Syncro!
Got some exciting parts in the mail!
New pistons from Paul Burke for the s38 , a little bump in compression and bore, while losing some weight!
Also from Paul Burke a knife edged crank minus 7 pounds!
Progress on the floor boards is being made . Maybe you noticed in earlier pics that the floor had gapping holes and rot. A lot of effort has been put in to making and repairing the floors , we used this as an opportunity to raise the floor board on the passenger side , so that the exhaust could be raised into the car for ground clearance.
Pass. side floor before new panels installed.
Below a before shot of the driver side.
New pass side floor panel ready to be welded in, notice raised portion for the exhaust
A good view of the repaired pass side floor with the new exhaust tunnel, Frank did some very nice work here.
Notice the brace Frank put in to give a bit of strength, also you can see the top of the center support bracket.
Driver side panels nearing completion.
A view from underneath looking from the front towards the back, eventually we will cut out a hole in the rocker panel for the exhaust to exit the side of the car, should be a nice touch!
Interior sheet metal work continues.
View of where we cut out the “package tray ” for access during the build to making new shock towers, and the roll cage.
When we raised the subframe further up into the car the modified trailing arm mounts ran out of clearance. To fix this we cut out some pockets in the sheet metal and Frank welded in some very nice “pockets” that give able room for the trailing arms new place.
Below is a view of the Driver side pocket, also notice the beginning of the rollcage.
Cleaned cly. head ready to be shipped out for machining.
T-bodies ready for machinist.
Block nearing completion with the machinist, bored, decked, cleaned etc, etc…