Front caliper refurb.
One of the dust covers was perforated so I ordered a new set for both fronts, They cost 48.20.
The callipers were sand blasted primed and painted, and the piston and bore were cleaned up gently. The dust cover can be tricky to fit.
The only way to do it is to position the dust cover on the end of the piston and locate it into the groove in the calliper before pushing the piston home.
They are as good as new ! I’d like to get the s.s. braided hoses to complete the job. The good ones are around 180 euro though.
Rear callipers cleaned up and subframe popped back in. Please excuse the manky discs and pads, I’ll burn a bit more off them before I go the the bother of replacing them.
OEM gearbox mounts.
The previous set of febi gearbox mounts were very different from the genuine ones, which fit perfectly. The gearbox is ready to go back in, I’m hoping to swing it in attached to the engine.
She was put back on her wheels on saturday had to take a couple of pics!
Mated the box to the engine today, sump on yesterday, tps and tb cleaned. new timing belt should arrive this week hope to drop the lump in shortly thereafter.
Putting the best of three in to it.
I went to change the timing belt today. when I stripped it back it was all horrible in there. More hours spent cleaning things up, no way would I put a new belt on those grotty pulleys.
On closer inspection the front crank seal was deemed to be in good order `only rust on the sprockets and no oil contamination on the old belt, Phew that’s a relief! Got a fright when I read the Bentley manual on what’s involved replacing one.
So.. cleaned the front up and put in the new belt and tensioner, water pump is good. Also replaced the broken crank sensor cable trunking behind the pulleys.
Next alternator and ps pump.
Finally got the engine in today. Had to use ratchet straps, got it in eventually after several re-adjustments of the straps.