Here are a few pics of the tail light options I am considering.
The headlamp wipers were seized, the only way to fix them properly is to dismantle them and re-grease, the main nylon gear wheel seizes in the steel cover plate. Here’s a breakdown of the motor and gearbox for future reference.
Thankfully the dreaded loom grommet surrounding had not been badly affected by rust.
I knew a guy who spent 9 grand on an 88 sport (type 1) It was beautiful to look at, all fresh’n’shiny. Unfortunately he didn’t get a look at the grommet and the whole thing was completely rusted away, the glove box was held in by one nut- it was a complete nightmare. Anyway here’s a before and after pic, all traces of rust were removed and the area was cleaned and painted on both sides with zg-90 zinc paint. It will be nicely greased up before it goes back in.
All the sound-proofing was removed to make sure there was no rust hiding anywhere. The looms were bagged and all the earth points and other bits were masked off. I took a couple of pics to be sure all the loom ties went back in the right places. The remains of the old loom tape were removed and the looms were cleaned and re-covered with cloth loom tape. It really makes the difference when you’re getting a proper re-spray
Here we have the colour coded eyebrows and kidney grill. I Have a set of unmolested originals too, considering both options.
Here’s the Rusco efs I used 4 sq mtrs @ 30 + vat per mtr. The interior is just about finished. Now time to have a proper look at the underside.
Well here’s the rusty spots on the underside. The underpinnings and tank all had to come off. There are some ropey looking fuel lines to be replaced along with all the bushings and brake hoses. It looks like it the rust was caught just in time. Another winter or two and it would be well holed. I will etch prime the steel before using the Bardahl Undercoating to seal it all up.